Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Morgan Ensberg

I have always had an irrational fondness for Morgan Ensberg. I think it's because he was my standard sleeper at third base in fantasy leagues for several years in a row. With the exception of a monster 2005, I have been pretty badly burned by this loyalty. And still I root for him.

I was thrilled when the Yankees signed him to a minor league deal this offseason. If he magically rediscovers his form (an extremely remote possibility), the Yankees have an impact right-handed bat, capable of replacing Giambi at first when injury inevitably strikes. If he repeats his last two seasons, the Yankees have a bench player with some patience and power, capable of playing the corner infield spots. If he regresses, they can cut ties at no loss. I also like that Ensberg turned down some offers guaranteeing regular playing time in order to sign with the Yanks. He wants to be here, and thinks he's up to the challenge.

He got off to a good start in today's intra-squad game, which was played like a Little League game. Ensberg went 2-3 with a double, a walk, and 3 runs scored in a game that featured 7 errors and 8 walks in 7 innings. Nothing should be read into this game, as it was the first game action in quite a while for many of the players. It was also 54 degrees and windy, and the field was wet.

Every year, I pick an unheralded player in camp and root like hell for them. Some years it works out ok (2004 Miguel Cairo) and others not so much (2005 Jaret Wright). Here's hoping Ensberg is my first unbridled success.

No comments: